Market Due Diligence
Brand Marketing Workflow Software
Our private equity client was in the IOI phase of an investment in a rapidly growing software company providing marketing workflow collaboration to high-end brands. The software allows multiple stakeholders in the advertising creation process (models/celebrity spokespeople, the advertiser, photographers/directors and ad-agency representatives) to provide real-time feedback on various artistic considerations. Key concerns for our client centered on understanding:
- How is the creative process managed today?
- How truly differentiated is the technology in the industry?
- What is the mindset of much larger and well-established Digital Asset Management (DAM) providers on their potential entry into this segment of the industry?
- Leaders in the DAM industry
- Industry professionals high-end advertising agencies and television studios
- Representatives from other potentially competitive industry participants
We immediately engaged with several industry leaders and worked with them to gauge their relevant experience, their interest in the engagement, and the cultural fit.
Representative Advisors included:
- CEO, North Plains
- Vice President, A&E Television Networks
- Director, Print Production, John Walter Thompson
- CEO and CIO, Mediabeacon
- Principal DAM Analyst, The Real Story Group
- Associate Creative Director, William Morris
- Vice President, Discovery Networks
- CEO, WAVE Corporation
Client engaged a number of relevant advisors identified by Apex Leaders on each angle and ultimately decided to forego the investment opportunity.
Value Added Refrigerated Fresh Products
Upon purchasing a regional refrigerated foods company, our client turned to us to help them build the advisory team they needed to expand. After a few rough years due to changes in regulation, high fuel prices, and industry forces outside their control, the company was eager to make a turn around and build a national brand. To be successful, they needed Board members who were experienced operators and brand champions.
Staying Flexible When Strategies Shift
Our private equity client held an early-stage investment in a cardiovascular medical device company. They had a promising new product and wanted a new board member to help them navigate the byzantine FDA and CE regulatory processes as quickly as possible. With approval, they hoped to exit through a liquidity event.
Retail Apparel Tagging
The world of fashion has changed. Gone are the days of seasonal clothing lines. Instead, clothing manufactures are continuing to push their designers and their manufacturers to turn out new lines in a matter of weeks. Our client was interested in an apparel tagging company that has the capabilities to keep up with the new speed of fashion. Before moving forward, our client needed to better understand the adoption of fast fashion, the role of customer service and how the larger competitors felt about jumping into this niche space.